The FAWNL entered its second month on Sunday afternoon across the divisions. Wolves continued their unbeaten run at the top of the Northern Premier, while Oxford United were held for the first time this campaign in the Southern Premier. Elsewhere in Division 1, Middlesbrough edged past York [North]; Stourbridge made it four wins from four [Midlands]; Hashtag United continued their flying form in front of goal [South East]; and league leaders AFC Bournemouth were beaten by Swindon Town [South West].



Boldmere St. Michaels 2-3 Burnley

Burnley continued their so far unbeaten season, relying on a dramatic last-minute strike from Leah Embley.

Burnley had the best off the first half. They took the lead after just 12 minutes when Evie Priestley was threaded through to score. They almost doubled their lead soon after when Ellie May’s angled effort was tipped over by an alert Chloe Quinne.

Boldmere rallied to level shortly after the break as Lois Jefferies met a corner. Burnley, however, continued to produce opportunities on goal. Priestley was denied her second by the offside flag before Millie Ravening curled the ball home to hand her side back the advantage.

Drama followed in the late stages of the game. The hosts thought they had secured a point when Jess Lundie equalised with two minutes to play. Burnley, however, were having none of it. With the last kick of the game, Embley met a cross at the back post to earn her side their fourth win of the season.


Derby County 0-2 AFC Fylde

It was a productive Sunday afternoon for AFC Fylde as they returned from Derby with their first win of the campaign.

The visitors took an early lead when Amy Hughes beat the Derby defence to score. The hosts rallied as Marli Rhodes-Andrews and Amy Sims came close, only to be denied by Jenna Carroll in Fylde’s goal.

Fylde made sure of the victory with just over 15 minutes to play. Jess Holbrook doubled the score, curling a shot past Imogen Maguire.


Huddersfield Town 3-1 West Brom

Huddersfield produce a controlled performance to earn a solid victory at the Stafflex Arena.

 After a tight opening phase to the match, the hosts took a 2-0 lead before half-time. Georgia Marshall headed her side ahead before Laura Elford doubled the score in the 35th minute.

They added a third shortly after the break when Ria Montgomery fired into the top corner.

West Brom battled to try and bring themselves back in the game. They thought they had scored when Shannon Stamps hit the underside of the bar, but the assistant judged that the ball had not crossed the line.

Stamps did eventually get her goal in the 92nd minute but, deep into injury time, it was too late to have any impact on the result.


FAWNL Northern Premier 25/09


Liverpool Feds 1-2 Stoke City

Stoke earned their second win on the trot as the edged past Liverpool Feds.

It was the hosts who took the lead with ten minutes on the clock. Rosie Kinvig rose high to nod on a corner and Bethany Donoghue was on hand to finish from close range. The Feds continued to push for a second. Demi Devereux was denied by a big save from Liz Hobson before Paige Cole poked an effort over the bar.

Stoke hit back on the stroke of half-time. Roisin Kivel intercepted a back pass before hitting the back of the net with a fine finish.

Heartbreak came for the hosts late on. Kivel popped up in the 90th minute to send her side home with the three points.

Loughborough Lightning 0-3 Brighouse Town

Brighouse Town earned their first league win of the season with a comfortable victory on the road.

The visitors took a first half lead through a sublime finish from Lissa Woodhouse in the 39th minute.

Two more followed in the second half. Issy Dean doubled the score before Jasmine Saxton added a third with ten minutes to play.

Nottingham Forest 2-4 Wolves

Wolves held off Nottingham Forest on Sunday to maintain their unbeaten run.

It was the hosts who came out with the early pressure when Charlotte Greengrass saw a strike tipped over by Rebecca Thomas.

The visitors, however, took the lead in spectacular fashion. With 35 minutes played, Maz Gauntlett hit the back of the net with a screamer from distance. Amber Hughes then doubled the score just before the break from inside the box.

Early in the second, the visitors had a third when Katie Johnson headed home a corner from Anna Morphet.

Despite the deficit, Forest mounted a comeback as they pulled back two goals in as many minutes. Arryana Daniels scored before Rebecca Anderson’s free kick gave the hope. Wolves, however, had more in them.

Deep into injury time, the prolific Hughes popped up with her sixth of the season to make sure of the three points.





Ipswich Town 1-0 Bridgwater United

Ipswich earned their second win on the bounce as they hosted a tricky Bridgwater side.

It was an early goal that sealed it. Anna Grey nutmegged her marker before the cross was turned into her own net by Holly Chandler within six minutes.

The hosts almost had a second before the break when Abigail Lafayette’s cross caused a scramble on the goal line.

Bridgwater had their chances to level in the second half. Laura Holden saw a shot from distance tipped over by Sarah Quantrill. The Ipswich keeper made another good stop minutes late to deny Amy Goddard at close range and ensure her side the victory.


Oxford United 1-1 Billericay Town

Billericay held high-flying Oxford for the first time this season as they came away from Court Place Farm with a valuable point.

It seemed early on that the hosts would continue their strong form. They took the lead after just nine minutes when Leah Burridge’s effort ricocheted home for her sixth of the season.

Oxford continued to press for another. Burridge saw a goal disallowed for a foul on Billericay’s Jess Gray before Jaime Gotch sent a header just wide of the mark.

The visitors found their equaliser just after the break. Beau Parker robbed Burridge before firing past Rosie Kite. It was the first goal that Oxford had conceded this campaign.

The hosts had their chances to win it but for some smart goalkeeping from Gray. She denied Daisy McLachlan with her legs before scrambling a mis-placed back-pass off the line.


FAWNL Southern Premier 25/09


Portsmouth FC 0-1 London Bees

London Bees rose to third in the FAWNL Southern Premier as Portsmouth suffered their first loss of the campaign.

The hosts had their chances to take the lead. Nicole Barrett saw her effort from the edge of the box parried by Megan Lynch. The Bees’ goalkeeper was also on hand to bat away a first-time strike from Tierney Scott.

The visitors’ winner came early in the second half. Danielle Puddefoot turned in one of her trademark free kicks and Ryah Vyse was on hand to send it home.


Watford 6-0 Cheltenham Town

Watford returned to winning ways with a dominant performance at home to Cheltenham Town.

The Hornets were ahead within three minutes when Andria Georgiou drilled a shot home. Annie Rossiter then doubled the score with her first goal for the club.

Cheltenham tried to rally when Kylie Nolan had a dangerous shot that produced a fine stop from Georgie Ferguson. But, in all honesty, Watford were in control.

Anne Meiwald headed home at the back post to make it three just before the break. Grace Garrard got her first goal early in the second before Melis Mehmet and Flo Fyfe rounded off the scoring.


Plymouth Argyle 2-0 Crawley Wasps

Plymouth Argyle earned their first win of the season against fellow strugglers in the league, Crawley Wasps.

It was the hosts who struck the first blow when Zoe Cunningham opened the scoring after 12 minutes.

Iesha Swaby fashioned an opportunity to equalise for Crawley, but it would be Argyle who doubled the score when Amber Pollock was brought down in the box. Cunningham stepped up to dispatch the spot kick to seal the three points for her side.





Bradford City 0-4 Durham Cestria

Durham Cestria bounced back from defeat against league strugglers, Bradford City.

The visitors found themselves 2-0 up within 10 minutes. Ellen Turnbull opened the scoring, turning home an Ella Wilson ball. Turnbull then turned provider, setting up Erin Nicholson. They added another just before the break when Sarah Burn rounded the keeper.

Things quietened down in the second half but there was still time for another. With six minutes left to play, Wilson hit a 15-yard half-volley to secure a comfortable victory.


Hull City 0-2 Stockport County

Stockport County earned their first win of the season against a buoyant Hull City side.

There was a goal in each half for the visitors. Kenzie Bentley sent them ahead before Levi Rathburn looped a free kick home.


Merseyrail 2-2 Barnsley

10-player Merseyrail earned their first point of the season against current league leaders, Barnsley.

Despite Barnsley pressure, it was the hosts who took the lead when the referee awarded them a spot kick. The initial penalty from Elisse Newby was saved by Serena Clarke, but the Merseyrail player was on hand to turn the rebound home.

The visitors rallied and managed to turn the tables. First, Nat Shaw levelled after a good driving run from Becky Gompertz. Gompertz turned provider once more to set up Jodie Michalska who put her side ahead.

It was Merseyrail’s turn to battle, and they found an equaliser themselves when Charlotte Tyers’ corner was turned into the back of the net by a defender. Newby was then sent off for the hosts, but they managed to hold on to secure the draw.


FAWNL Division 1 North 25/09


Middlesbrough 3-2 York City

Middlesbrough moved up to fifth as they edged past York City on Sunday afternoon.

The opener came with half an hour on the clock when Emma Foster headed home a corner. However, the response from the visitors came within minutes. Teagan Sorokan pounced on a poor back pass to lob Kayley Dunn in the Middlesbrough goal.

Armani Maxwell restored the hosts’ lead immediately after the break. York responded once more through Felicity Jones but falling behind for a third time would prove too much. With 20 minutes left to play, Brooke Newton’s cross/shot was fumbled in by Becky Sidwell to hand Middlesbrough the three points.

Newcastle United 1-1 Chorley

2,353 turned out at Kingston Park Stadium to see Newcastle United earn a point at home to Chorley.

Both sides traded chances early on. Katie Barker saw an early effort go wide across the face of goal before Chorley’s Jessica Gillin forced Grace Donnelly into a fine save with a long-range effort.

The hosts took the lead after 25 minutes through the in-form Kacie Elson. The Newcastle player beat two defenders and curled an effort home from the edge of the area.

Chances came and went for either side in the second. Just as it looked like Newcastle would take all three points, Chorley levelled the score. With seven minutes to play, Laura Walker hit a free kick that bounced in off the crossbar.


Norton + Stockton Ancients 3-1 Leeds United

Norton + Stockton’s unbeaten run continued on Sunday as they rose to third in the table.

The home side took an early lead when Nyci Thorns forced a rushed clearance. The prolific Bianca Owens was as alert as ever to head the ball into an empty net.

Leeds did manage to clip the woodwork, but the majority of chances fell Norton’s way. Owens and Shannon Reed both came close before Thorns saw a goal disallowed for offside. A minute later, they had their second. Owens pounced on another defensive mistake before sealing her hat-trick when she headed home a Kate McGuire free kick.

Leeds managed to pull a goal back when Amy Woodruff scored. But with just three minutes left to play, it was too late to mount a comeback.





Lincoln City 2-2 Sporting Khalsa

Lincoln battled back from a 2-0 deficit to earn a valuable point at home to Sporting Khalsa.

With half an hour on the clock, Olivia Woolston beat the offside trap to put the visitors ahead. She was played through again minutes later to double the score.

The hosts managed to pull a goal back before the break when Chantelle Robinson powered home a Tilly Fantom throw. They left it late to find an equalise. Amy Kay popped up in the 90th minute to break Khalsa hearts.


Long Eaton United 0-9 Doncaster Belles

Doncaster Belles returned to action with an emphatic victory on the road to Long Eaton.

The visitors were in control from the off. Jess Andrew headed a Holly Housley corner over the bar within minutes before Housley skimmed the post herself with a shot. Nadia Khan then rounded the keeper but shot wide of the mark.

The opener came after 14 minutes. Sophie Brown saw a header saved brilliantly but Housley was there to convert the rebound. Two more goals followed in quick succession when Khan found Lindsey Tugby in the box before Sophie Scargill intercepted a pass to set up Khan who chipped the keeper.

Six goals followed in the second half. Housley secured her brace before Andrew fired a 25-yard free kick into the top corner. Shannon Durkin then broke onto Andrew’s defence-splitting pass and chipped the keeper.

Chloe Dean put her name on the scoresheet with 15 minutes left to play before Durkin added two more in the final minutes to seal her hat-trick.


Northampton Town 0-1 Sheffield FC

Sheffield earned a win on the road on Sunday afternoon to end their losing run.

It was Northampton who had the best chances of the opening stages. Alexandra Dicks was played through on goal but hit her shot off the upright.

What would prove to be Sheffield’s winner came in the 13th minute. Moriah McIntosh proved alert to pounce on a defensive error to hand her side the lead.

Northampton pushed hard for an equaliser, but it was not their day. Farrow was denied by the woodwork twice before Dicks saw a half-volley well saved by Leah Kellogg.


FAWNL Division 1 Midlands 25/09


Solihull Moors 2-2 Leek Town

Battling Leek Town came from behind twice to take home a point from in-form Solihull.

The hosts took a very early lead when Annie Highway latched onto a long ball within 20 seconds. And they came close to a second when Rebecca Knight hit a shot wide on the swivel.

Cassie Hyde managed to level the score in the 13th minute, but Solihull were able to restore their lead before the break. Lyndsey Ross-Baker turned home an angled shot with ten minutes to play.

Leek Town came out refreshed and fought their way back into proceedings once more. Chantelle Gallagher hit a shot from 30 yards to earn her side a valuable draw.

Stourbridge 4-0 Peterborough United

Stourbridge made it four wins from four on Sunday to head top of the table.

Both sides traded chances early on. Stourbridge’s Lili-Beth Bown hit the bar from distance within a minute. Mill Rogers then turned an effort with from 20 yards. Peterborough had their own opportunities. Evie Driscoll-King saw an angled shot hit the side-netting before Tara Kirk force Amie Preston into a good save.

The floodgates opened for Stourbridge in the second half. They took the lead shortly after the break when Niamh Deasy head home a free kick from Alex Nicklin.

With 15 minutes left to play, two goal followed in as many minutes. Bown reacted quickest to a deflected cross to volley it home before Deasy converted a penalty after Esme Moran was brought down in the box. Bown added a fourth minutes before full-time to cap off a productive afternoon.


Wem Town 2-4 Leafield Athletic

Leafield earned their second win on the bounce to go third after fighting back from 2-0 down.

Wem Town ‘s goals came from Katie Doster and Alise Gindra in the first half. The visitors pulled one back before the break, when Jessica Lowe hit the back of the net.

Leafield levelled the score after the break through a rocket from Samantha Baker. Lowe got her second to put her side ahead before Chloe Shirley made sure of the victory with nine minutes to play.





 AFC Wimbledon 2-0 Actonians

AFC Wimbledon earned second win on the bounce at Plough Lane.

Both keepers had to be alert in the first half to keep the score level. Ashlee Hincks’ shot was well stopped by Actonians’ Amy Butler before Faye Baker stepped out quickly to. Smother Maria Ledezma-Viso’s effort.

The hosts took the lead after the break through an own goal. Hincks then clipped the crossbar before doubling the score minutes later. She came close to a hat-trick late on as she chipped Butler, but it went wide of the mark.


London Seaward 3-0 Cambridge City

London Seaward returned to winning ways with a comfortable victory over Cambridge City.

Seaward’s three goals came from Samantha Lanza, Katherine Long and Rea Laudat.


FAWNL Division 1 SE 25/09


QPR 0-2 Norwich City

Norwich spoiled QPR’s party at Loftus Road to keep pressure on Hashtag United at the top of the table.

QPR had their chances early on. Norwich keeper, Bryony Williams, was caught outside the area but Brogan Moore turned her subsequent lob wide. Vicky Grieve then hit the post after confusion from a corner.

However, it was the visitors who took the lead with 20 minutes on the clock. Kathryn Stanley ran onto Freya Symonds’ flick before cutting inside and sending a looping effort home.

They made sure of the three points in the 85th minute. Megan Todd rose high to meet a corner to send her side home with the victory.


Hashtag United 5-0 Cambridge United

Hashtag United continued their flying form at the top of the table with another comfortable victory at home.

They flew into an early lead when Eva Frazzoni was alert to Emma Samways’ header that rebounded off the crossbar. Hayley West doubled the score when she ran onto Samways’ pass to slide home her third of the season.

Hashtag’s chances continued after the break. Frazzoni notched her second of the game before Malika Apindia added other after cutting in from the left. Samantha Rowland capped off the scoring late on with a goal on her debut.


Wymondham Town A-A Hounslow




AFC St. Austell 2-5 Southampton Women

Southampton earned their second win of the season against bottom of the table AFC Austell.

It was, in fact, the hosts who took the lead when Beth Everson pounced to score within four minutes. Southampton responded quickly, however, and were soon level when Kirsty Whitton volleyed home Emma King’s cross. They were ahead within minutes, when Hope Suominen registered her first for the club.

The visitors continued to produce chances. Brittany Jeal extended their lead after their break before adding another after a mazy run.

An extended period of injury time followed after a bad injury to Southampton’s Lucy Mear. It allowed for two more goals deep into injury time. Laura Vokes got her name on the scoresheet when she round Maisie Frickleton. Everson managed to pull one more back for Austell, but it was a consolation goal at best.


Cardiff City 5-0 Exeter City

Cardiff made it three wins from three with a comfortable victory to sit third in the league.

The hosts were three up before the break. Emily Poole tapped home the opener before. Chloe Lloyd doubled the score after Exeter were caught in possession. The third came on the stroke of half-time when Ellie Sargent was brought down in the box. Lloyd stepped up to convert from the spot.

More goals game in the second half. Substitute Emily Richards added a fourth before Sargent got a goal of her own to round off the scoring.


Keynsham Town 3-1 Larkhall Athletic

Keynsham Town earned their first win of the season as they hosted Larkhall Athletic on Sunday afternoon.

Naomi Clipston hit a hat-trick to see her side take away the three points. Chloe Snook pulled a goal back for the visitors late on, but it was only a consolation.


FAWNL Division 1 SW 25/09


Portishead 2-3 Moneyfields

Moneyfields edged past a battling Portishead to maintain their unbeaten run this campaign.

A brace from Emma Pinner saw the visitors take a 2-0 lead at half-time. Charley Wilson-Wilton added a third shortly after the break.

The hosts rallied. Laura Barrett and Rhian Robbins both pulled goals back, but they ultimately could not find an equaliser to get something from the match.


Swindon Town 3-2 AFC Bournemouth

Swindon held off an AFC Bournemouth comeback to secure victory against the league’s leaders.

A double from Annie Colston saw them go into half-time with a comfortable lead. Colston sealed her hat-trick shortly after the restart when she turned home Helena Diaz-Butcher’s unselfish lay-off.

Bournemouth responded with to penalty conversions, both scored by Shannon Albuery. However, Swindon stayed strong to take a vital three points.

You may also like