Match day 2 of the FAWNL got underway on Sunday 22nd August as teams looked to build on their starts to the season.

Read all about the action in the Premier Divisions here:


Burnley 1-4 Nottingham Forest

Andy Cook’s Forest side secured their first victory of the season, coming from behind to beat Burnley.

The visitors took the lead in the 19th minute with Dominique Cooper tapping home. But Forest responded immediately with Freya Thomas’ volley deflecting into the back of the net.

The hosts took the lead before the break when Jade Arber’s sweet strike went in off the woodwork. They added two more as the game drew to a close through Mai Moncaster and Rosie Axten.


Derby County 0-1 Wolves 

Wolves made it two wins from two as their inaugural FAWNL campaign continued a perfect start.

Amber Hughes’ 35th minute strike was enough to see them past an experienced Derby County side and move to second in the table.


Hull City 1-5 Brighouse Town

After a frustrating opening game, Brighouse Town got back to winning ways with a comfortable victory away to Hull City.

Amy Woodruff opened the lead for the visitors with quarter of an hour played, turning in Annabel Cass’ assist. 15 minutes later, Becky Gompertz doubled the lead before Woodruff notched her second just before the break.

New recruit, Leah Embley, scored her first goal for the club in the 67th minute while Ellie Dobson turned home Danielle Whitham’s free kick with five minutes left to play.

Hull City scored consolation late on through Ellie Tanser.


Loughborough Lightning 3-0 Sheffield FC

After a scoring a last-minute equaliser the previous week, Loughborough built on that result to secure their first victory.

Rosetta Taylor opened the scoring just before the break. Chloe Young doubled the lead early in the second half before Fran Miller’s strike ensured the three points.


Middlesbrough 1-3 Huddersfield Town

Held to a goalless draw by Nottingham Forest on the opening day of the season, last season’s high-flyers were looking to kickstart their campaign against Middlesbrough.

They took the lead with 14 minutes on the clock through Ria Montgomery’s chipped strike from distance. Four minutes later, Laura Elford turned home Katie Stanley’s cross off a mazy solo run.

The hosts pulled one back in the 21st minute when Jess Foster struck. However, Huddersfield ensured the three points before the break when Stanley converted from close range.


Stoke City 2-3 Fylde

A last-minute goal saw a battling AFC Fylde come from behind twice to beat Stoke City.

The hosts took the lead when Roisin Kivel sent home a beautifully chipped finish with quarter of an hour played.

However, Faye McCoy is never far from a goal, and she opened her season’s account with an equaliser in the 32nd minute.

Stoke retook lead after half-time through another Kivel chip. However, McCoy responded once more, converting a penalty after Emily Hollinshead was fouled.

And it was the Fylde strike who sealed the winner deep into injury time with her first hat-trick of the season.


FAWNL Southern premier

Cardiff City 0-1 Portsmouth FC

After their comfortable opening day victory against Plymouth, Portsmouth travelled to Cardiff looking to build on their positive start.

The visitors had the early chances and were helped by a big stop from goalkeeper, Hannah Haughton. They took the lead five minutes before the break when Jazz Younger headed home Jade Bradley’s corner.

Portsmouth pushed to extend their lead in the second half but could not find the back of the net again.


Chichester & Selsey 1-0 Oxford United

After a heavy defeat to Bridgwater United on the opening day of the season, Chichester would have been looking for a response at home to Oxford.

They got just that. After a quiet first half, they took the lead in the 50th minute. Megan Fox drove in a low free kick that Sophie Phelps turned home at the far post. It was enough to earn them a valuable victory.


Gillingham 2-0 Hounslow

Gillingham earned their first victory of the season, putting two past Hounslow.


Ipswich Town 1-0 Crawley Wasps

Ipswich Town look right at home in the FAWNL Southern Premier. They made it two wins from two against a strong Crawley Wasps side on Sunday afternoon.

The visitors started the stronger but Ipswich soon found their feet, with Sophie Peskett causing particular problems down the right flank.

The winner came in the first half in the form of a brilliant solo effort from Blue Wilson. The Ipswich captain dribbled from the centre line past numerous Wasps defenders before unleashing a curling shot past Megen Lynch.


London Bees 5-1 Keynsham Town

 It was the second time in a week that these two sides had faced each other. With Keynsham getting better of London Bees the previous, the hosts were looking to respond.

They did just that, opening the scoring in the 7th minute when Hannah Coote slotted home Courtnay Ward -Chambers’ ball.

Keynsham responded and Kerry Walklett curled in a free kick to equalise, her second goal in as many games. However, the Bees retook the lead when Coote forced an own goal before Nikki Jancey volleyed home just before the break.

The hosts were not done and added two more in the second half. Lauren Heria proved clinical when she was played in behind the Keynsham defence. Five minutes later, Jancey sealed her brace to add the icing on top of the cake.


MK Dons 1-1 Bridgwater United

 Bridgwater were dealt a blow early on when Bow Jackson was sent off with 30 minutes played. However, the visitors battled and took the lead just before the break through Chloe Gilroy.

Mollie Coupar equalised for MK Dons with an hour on the clock, but they couldn’t make their extra numbers count to find a winner.


Plymouth Argyle 0-3 Southampton FC

After a positive start the previous week against MK Dons, Marieanne Spacey’s Southampton team backed it up with another solid three points.

Leeta Rutherford headed home Shannon Sievwright’s cross with half an hour played to put the visitors ahead. And the same combination struck again seven minutes later to double the score.

Southampton added a third in the 77th minute when Ciara Watling converted Georgie Freeland’s low cross.

You may also like