The FA Women’s National League continued on Sunday as teams across the divisions looked to build on their opening weekends. Find out more:



Burnley 1-0 Stoke City

 After a last-minute victory away to Derby, Burnley took three points once more in front of 291 spectators at Leyland.

Jonathan Morgan’s side started well with Leah Embley bright early on. She saw a penalty shout waved away before her shot was saved at point-blank range by Liz Craven.

What proved to be the eventual winner came on the stroke of half-time. Evie Priestley was brought down in the box and Millie Ravening made no mistake from the spot.

Stoke forced several saves from Lauren Bracewell, with Abby Hunt and Beth Roberts finding chances. The Burnley keeper also saved Callan Barber’s penalty with under half an hour to play.


Derby County 1-1 Liverpool Feds

 Derby came from behind to salvage a point against Liverpool Feds on Sunday afternoon.

The first half was heavily contested with chances falling to both sides. Paige Cole had an early opportunity for the visitors but turned her shot wide. Derby’s Marli Rhodes-Andrews then directed a header off target before Jess Camwell fired over the bar.

The hosts upped the pressure in the second half with Rachel Darbyshire making a series of vital saves. However, it was Feds who took the lead in the 67th minute when Abby Pope’s looping cross with misjudged by Imogen Maguire.

Derby battled for the equaliser and were denied by the woodwork with four minutes to play. It finally came deep into injury time when Amy Sims turned a parried cross home to share the points.


Huddersfield Town 0-5 Wolves

Wolves got back to winning ways in emphatic fashion as they took on Huddersfield at the Stafflex Arena.

The opening goal came just three minutes in when Maz Gauntlett turned home Amber Hughes’ assist.

They doubled the lead shortly after the break when Hughes turned in a corner for her second of the season. Tammi George then poked home a third after a scramble before substitute Amy Dicken dispatched Jade Cross’ delivery. The fifth goal came with ten minutes to play with an unfortunate Huddersfield player getting the final touch.


FAWNL Northern Premier 28/08


Nottingham Forest 2-0 Fylde

Nottingham Forest followed up on their blistering start to the season with a solid victory over AFC Fylde.

They controlled proceedings from the start. Olivia Cook fired narrowly wide before Sophie Domingo rattled the crossbar. It was Domingo who opened the scoring five minutes before the break.

Forest continued their pressure in the second half. Domingo’s effort was turned wide by Megan Hunter while Rebecca Anderson missed the target.

The second goal came in the 76th minute. Cook hammered in off the underside of the crossbar to send her side top of the league.


West Brom 4-1 Loughborough Lightning

West Brom put a heavy opening day defeat behind them as they earned their first points of the season against 10-player Loughborough.

The early chances fell to the hosts as Kiya Webb was called into action in the Loughborough goal. She denied Janelle Straker in the first minute before tipping Shannon Stamps’ cross away to safety.

The challenge got significantly tougher for the visitors when Lauren Taft was dismissed after just 18 minutes for bringing down Stamps from behind.

Loughborough held on until half-time, but the breakthrough came immediately after the restart. Stamps, influential all afternoon, turned a strike into the top corner from distance. She then doubled the lead with a chip over Webb.

Loughborough’s luck worsened when they lost the superb Webb to injury and the goals continued to come. Straker was alert to turn home a rebound before Ash Brown converted an angled effort. The hosts did pull one back through a late penalty converted by Chloe Young.


Brighouse Town P-P Boldmere St. Michaels




Cheltenham Town 2-1 Billericay Town

Cheltenham continued to look at ease in their new surroundings as they earned a narrow win against Billericay Town.

Both sides traded early possession and chances. Billericay’s Jess King sent a volley off target before Emily Owen made an important block on her shot. Meanwhile, Cheltenham’s Jade Grove was saved by Alexandra Baker.

It was the visitors who opened the scoring through Ellie Jeffkins after Cheltenham failed to clear their lines. The hosts responded well, however, and found an equaliser minutes late. Lucy-Jai Liggett was tripped in the box and Owen stepped up to convert from the spot.

The winner came with ten minutes to play when Cheltenham’s Liggett finished from inside the box.


London Bees 1-1 Crawley Wasps

It was the battle of the insects at the Hive as London Bees and Crawley Wasps came head-to-head.

It was the hosts who took a first half lead when Courtnay Ward-Chambers sent home her second of the season.

After a quiet start to the second, Wasps found the response they needed. Substitute Phoebe Murton turned home a deflected cross to ensure her side took a point back to Crawley.


Portsmouth FC 4-1 MK Dons

Portsmouth cruised to the top of the division with a comfortable victory at home to MK Dons.

The opener came in the 22nd minute when Emma Jones turned home Sophie Quirk’s delivery at the near post. Tierney Scott then doubled the score when she rounded the defence. The influential Quirk made it three before the break, beating four defenders to turn the ball into an empty net.

Dons pulled one back immediately after half-time through Tally Miles. But Portsmouth soon restored the gap with Jones securing her brace.

Dons came close to narrowing the deficit but goalkeeper, Hannah Haughton, stayed big to deny both Nicola Puddick and Nicole Pepper.


FAWNL Southern Premier 28/08


Bridgwater United 0-2 Watford

Watford came through a tricky away trip to Fairfax Park with their 100% win record intact.

It was the Hornets who took an early lead when Helen Ward ran onto Megan Chandler’s ball to turn home.

Bridgwater responded with Georgia Evans hitting the woodwork and Jenna Markham sending an effort wide.

Deep into injury time, the visitors made sure of the three points when Fran Ali turned home Gemma Davison’s assist from close range.


Ipswich Town 1-2 Gillingham

A strong second half performance saw Gillingham come away from the AGL Arena with a vital three points.

Ipswich dominated the opening stages and took the lead when Anna Grey rounded goalkeeper, Cara Davies.

Gillingham came out re-energised after the break and Breon Grant levelled the score. Maddison Chamney-Farrand scored the winner from the penalty spot in the 65th minute.


Plymouth Argyle 0-2 Oxford United

 A dominant Oxford earned their second win of the season away to Plymouth Argyle.

They took an early lead when Leah Burridge turned home Sarah King’s cross inside two minutes.

From that point on, the visitors were in control. Daisy MacLachlan volleyed over bar before Naomi Cole’s long-range effort flew over. Carly Johns then poked a close-range effort narrowly wide before Riva Casley’s acrobatic effort was tipped behind by Jasmine Read.

The pressure continued into the second half when Cole hit the post. The second goal eventually came as Burridge hit her second of the game, heading home Johns’ cross at the back post.




Barnsley 2-0 Leeds United

 Barnsley moved to the top of the table as they saw off an injury-hit Leeds.

It was the visitors who had the first chance of the match when Laura Bartup headed over an Olivia Smart corner. Barnsley responded quickly, however, and took the lead two minutes later. Emily Pierrepont ran onto an over-the-top ball and lobbed Carrie Simpson.

In the blink of an eye, Barnsley had doubled the lead when Courteney Csomor got on the end of a cross from Natalie Shaw. Jodie Michalska was then denied by Simpson before Amy Beck flashed a header wide.

A quiet second half followed. The best chance fell to Leeds when Bartup dummied her defender, but Serena Clarke got down well to save.


Hull City 1-2 Norton + Stockton Ancients

Norton battled past a resilient Hull City to earn their first three points of the season.

After a tight opening period, it was the visitors who took the lead. The prolific Bianca Owens was tripped up in the box and then dispatched the subsequent penalty.

Despite having a player sin-binned for arguing with the referee, Hull found an equaliser. Louise Dealtry-Todd converted a 25-yard effort that sailed in over Kelsie Moore for her first senior goal.

Hull started the second half on the front foot. Jo Symington was denied by Moore before Katie Thompson has a goal ruled out for offside. Symington then set up Hope Knight, but her deflected effort hit the woodwork.

The winner came for the visitors with 15 minutes to play. Owens once more drove through the defence to finish with a right-footed shot.


Middlesbrough 4-2 Chorley

Middlesbrough came from two goals down to earn a win in their first home game of the season.

Chorley raced ahead in the first half with goals from Emily Stocks and Jessica Gillin.

But Middlesbrough battled hard and completed an impressive turnaround. The hosts’ goals were scored by Simone Laverick, Eve Marshall, Brooke Newton and Jessica Mett.


FAWNL Division 1 North 28/08


Merseyrail 1-4 Durham Cestria

Durham Cestria came from behind to earn a comfortable victory away in Liverpool.

Merseyrail started strongly and forced two big saves from Megan Borthwick. They took the lead after 21 minutes when Charlotte Cloy struck from distance.

Cestria responded instantly. Erin Nicholson headed home a Jen Knowles’ corner before Poppy Pritchard put them ahead after a strong drive into the box. They extended their lead just before the break through an own goal.

The fourth came four minutes from time when Leanna Giles sent a 35-yard strike into the top corner.


Newcastle United 2-0 Stockport County

An impressive 1,569 were in attendance at Kingston Park Stadium as Newcastle saw off Stockport County.

The hosts had the early pressure but struggled to create any clear-cut chances. In fact, it was Stockport who came closest when Maria Figueiredo and Jess Battle forced Gemma Donnelly into a big double save.

Newcastle threatened themselves. Katie Barker fired wide before Lauren Robson’s free-kick beat Charlotte Bolland but hit the post.

The woodwork got in Newcastle’s way again shortly after the break when Kacie Elson headed Robson’s cross off the upright. The hosts eventually opened the scoring with half an hour to play when Robson hit the top corner from outside the box.

Stockport’s task was made trickier when they found themselves down to 10. Chloe Howard saw red for bringing down the last player. Newcastle made sure of the victory in the 84th minute when Georgia Gibson reacted first after Bethany Guy’s header rebounded off the bar.


York City 1-0 Bradford City

York City earned their first win of the season as they edged past Bradford on Sunday.

Alice Hughes’ 37th minute flick proved the vital strike at Haxby Road.




Long Eaton United 2-1 Leafield Athletic

Long Eaton recovered from a heavy opening day defeat to earn a win at Grange Park.

It was the hosts who took an early lead before Kathryn Pagan equalised with half an hour on the clock.

The winner from Long Eaton came in the second half.


Sheffield FC 2-0 Solihull Moors

Sheffield’s 100% record continued as they saw off a buoyant Solihull Moors at The Home of Football.

Sheffield’s goalkeeper, Leah Kellogg, had to be alert early on. She saved Lyndsey Ross-Baker’s half-volley before denying Cheyanne Jarvis.

However, it was the hosts who took the lead when Alex O’Neill was brought down in the box. Tiana Hicks stepped up to dispatch the subsequent penalty. O’Neill then doubled the score with a 25-yard.

Moors piled on the pressure in the second half but the Sheffield defence stayed resilient to maintain the clean sheet.


Stourbridge 7-0 Lincoln City

Stourbridge put their opening day blues behind them with an emphatic victory at home to Lincoln.

The hosts raced into an insurmountable lead as Niamh Deasy put them ahead inside two minutes. Amber Lawrence then doubled the score a minute later. Esme Moran turned home from goal line scramble before a Zoe Clarke header made it four.

Stourbridge resumed their goalscoring shortly after the break. Clarke got her second of the afternoon before Alex Nicklin’s long-range free kick evaded everyone. Mill Rogers capped off the afternoon with a strike from outside the box.


FAWNL Division 1 Midlands 28/08


Wem Town 1-4 Peterborough United

There were equally early goals at the Butler Sports Ground that saw Peterborough come away with three points.

Cassie Steward opened the scoring in the third minute to put Peterborough on the front foot. Michelle Pasco then hit the bar before Jessica Driscoll had a shot cleared off the line.

A top corner shot from Taylor Davis levelled matters for the hosts but Peterborough were not finished. Second half goals from Faith Horner, Jess Evans and Megan Lawlor rounded off the scoring.


Leek Town 2-0 Northampton Town

 A goal in each half saw Leek Town earn their first win of the 2022/23 season.

Northampton had the early chances as Gemma Whitchurch had an effort saved before Favour Omenazu headed wide. But it was the hosts who took the lead when Cassie Hyde turned home a back post header.

Leek Town left it late to make sure of the three points. Alanya Tezgel beat Holly Mayfield to the ball to double the score in the 89th minute.





AFC Wimbledon 0-1 QPR

 Chloe Gunn’s first half goal earned QPR a narrow win away to AFC Wimbledon.

Both sides traded chances early on, but it was QPR who opened the scoring in style. In the 14th minute, Gunn produced an acrobatic shot off a corner that nestled in the back of the net.

Becki Bath came close to an equaliser for the hosts before Ellie Dorey’s attempted chip dipped over the bar. QPR had a second goal ruled out for offside.


Ashford Town (Middlesex) 3-3 Cambridge United

A thrilling six-goal draw played out in Surrey as Ashford Town played their inaugural FAWNL game.

Both sides traded chances early on, but it was Cambridge who took the lead shortly before the break. Gisela Otten reacted quickest to a rebound off a Sarah Wiltshire free kick. There was an instant response from the hosts, however, when Ashley Cheatley fired in low deep into first half injury time.

Ashford got their noses in front shortly after the break. Kayleigh Currivan was brought down in the box and Alissa Down sent home the subsequent penalty. Down looked to have secured victory for the hosts just four minutes later when she turned in a free kick.

But Cambridge were not done and battled to the end to secure themselves a point. With ten minutes to go, Alysha Stojko-Down pulled one back off a corner before her brilliant free kick levelled the score in the 86th minute.


Chesham United 1-2 London Seaward

London Seaward capitalised on early chances to edge past Chesham United.

The visitors piled on the pressure early as Katherine Long sent a lob over inside 11 minutes. Lucia Delves then had to produce a fine triple save to deny Giorgia Bracelli, Long and Jenks in the same attack.

They broke the deadlock early in the second half when Ellie Pace turned home after a corner. Ten minutes later, Giorgia Bracelli’s 25-yard strike doubled the score.

With quarter of an hour to play, Chesham pulled one back with a curling free kick from Kate Bowers. However, it was not enough, and Seaward headed home with all three points.


FAWNL Division 1 SE 28/08


Hashtag United 10-0 Wymondham Town

 Hashtag United made their afternoon a perfect ten at home to Wymondham Town.

Malika Apindia, dangerous throughout, broke the deadlock inside just five minutes. She then set up Amy-Leigh Abrehart to double the score. Grace Gillard headed home an Abrehart corner before Brooke Cairns’ overhead kick made it four.

The goalscoring continued after the break. Emma Samways turned home Eva Frazzoni’s flick while Kat Canneman headed home a corner with half an hour to play. Apindia completed her hat-trick while Gillard sealed a brace from the penalty spot. Hayley West put the icing on the cake of a dominant afternoon, cutting inside to unleash a powerful effort into the top corner.

Norwich City 1-0 Actonians

In front of over 400 at The Nest, Norwich took themselves top of the table with their second win off the season.

The hosts had early chances with Ellie Smith firing narrowly wide. But Actonians had their own opportunities as well. Meila D’Santos sent a good opportunity over before a long-range effort was stopped by Bryony Williams.

The winner eventually came in the 70th minute. A 25-yard screamer from Rebecca Russell saw the hosts claim all three points.


Hounslow PP Cambridge City




AFC St. Austell 0-9 Cardiff City

Cardiff City enjoyed a productive afternoon with a nine-star victory away to AFC St. Austell.

The visitors were up by five at half-time. Kerry Bartlett opened the scoring in the fourth minute before turning provider for Cori Williams. Williams then sealed her brace before assisting Bartlett in the 37th minute. There was a fifth goal on the stroke of half-time as Williams notched her hat-trick.

Shortly after the break, Ellie Sargent got in on the act when she turned her defender to finish.

AFC St. Austell did have a chance to pull one back when Thierry-Jo Gauvain committed a foul in the box. Laura O’Sullivan was equal to the subsequent spot kick, however, tipping it over the bar.

Bartlett sealed her third in the 83rd minute before Sargent added another two to notch her second hat-trick in as many games.


Keynsham Town 1-3 Chichester + Selsey

Selsey moved to third in the table with a solid victory away to Keynsham Town.

Selsey’s goals came from Gemma Simmonds and Natasha Wild in the first half before Molly Jones added one in the second. Keynsham did manage to pull one back.


Moneyfields 1-1 Exeter City

Moneyfields opened life in the FAWNL with a well-earned draw against Exeter.

It was a tight opening half with chances at both ends. Rebecca Dandridge tested the Moneyfields’ keeper early on before the hosts had a good chance denied by a brilliant Jaydee Seaman tackle.

The opener came early in the second. On her debut for the club, Jade Widdows put Moneyfields ahead in the 49th minute.

But Exeter rallied and found an equaliser. Dandridge was alert to pounce on a loose back pass and turn it home to ensure her side travelled home with a point.


FAWNL Division 1 SW 28/08


Portishead 0-4 AFC Bournemouth

 AFC Bournemouth made it two wins from two with a comfortable victory away to Portishead.

The visitors scored two goals in each half. Lucy Cooper got herself a brace while Katie James and Shannon Albuery also got on the scoresheet.


Swindon Town 2-1 Larkhall Athletic

Swindon earned their first win of the season, coming from behind to edge out Larkhall.

Grace Eagles gave the visitors an early first half lead.

Swindon turned things around in the second, however. Annabelle Colston equalised in the 75th minute before scoring the winner with just two minutes to play.


Southampton Women PP Maidenhead United

You may also like