Match day 4 of the FAWNL got underway on Sunday 22nd August as teams looked to build on their starts to the season.

Read all about the action in the Premier Divisions here:



Derby County 2-1 Burnley

The Ewe Rams earned their second win in a week, edging past a battling Burnley side.

After a tight first half, Emily Joyce fired the hosts into the lead shortly after the break. They then doubled their lead in the 63rd minute through Ellie Gilliatt.

Burnley pulled one back with six minutes remaining through Evie Priestley but couldn’t salvage a point from the game.


Hull City 0-6 Nottingham Forest

Nottingham Forest made it three wins on the trot with a comfortable victory away to Hull City. It was a result that sent them top of the table.

After a tight first period, the Forest broke the hosts down in the second half and Freya Thomas headed them ahead three minutes after the break. Jade Arber doubled the score shortly after followed quickly by an effort from Charlotte Greengrass.

Rachel Brown got in on the action in the 69th minute before Rosie Axten hit another with 15 minutes left to play. Arber rounded off the scoring late on to secure her brace.


Loughborough Lightning 1-5 Huddersfield Town

Loughborough Lightning suffered their first loss of the season to a Huddersfield Town side that are starting to move through the gears.

Lucy Sowerby opened the scoring for the visitors within the first five minutes. Shortly after, Brittany Sanderson doubled their lead from close range.

Hull City stayed in the game in the first half, however, and pulled one back through Abbie Benstead just before the break.

But it wasn’t long after half-time that Huddersfield extended their lead once more when Laura Elford fired into an open goal. Kate Mallin added another with six minutes to play before Elford notched her second right at the death.


Middlesbrough 4-1 West Brom

Middlesbrough secured their first win of the season as they hosted West Brom at Bedford Terrace.

They were ahead early on when Laura Robson tapped home, but West Brom hit back with an equaliser when Mariam Mahmood scored with half an hour on the clock. However, it wasn’t long before the hosts restored the lead when Robson’s volley hit the back of the net just before the break.

With 30 minutes left to play, West Brom’s chances of getting back into the match were hampered with the dismissal of Emily Owen. They held off Middlesbrough until the 84th minutes when captain, Rebecca Olley, ensured the victory for her side. Faye Dale added one more right at the death.


Sheffield FC 1-0 Stoke City

Sheffield FC earned their first victory of the season as they edged past Stoke City at the Home of Football.

The winner came in the 66th minute when Molly Waite struck for the hosts.


Wolves 0-0 Fylde

Wolves hosted Fylde on Sunday afternoon when both sides played out a goalless draw. They both remain unbeaten so far this season.


fawnl southern premier

Bridgwater United 3-1 Crawley Wasps

Bridgwater United continued their unbeaten start to the season when they hosted Crawley Wasps on Sunday afternoon.

They took the lead after ten minutes through a superb finish from Chloe Gilroy. Ellie Strippel than doubled the score with half an hour on the clock. The hosts all but wrapped the victory up before the break when Gilroy was brought down in the box. Alice Griffiths kept her cool to step up and convert the subsequent penalty kick.

Crawley managed to pull one back in the 67th minute through Rachel Palmer but could not mount a comeback.


Ipswich Town 1-0 Cardiff City

Ipswich Town’s impressive start to FAWNL Premier life continued on Sunday when they made it four wins from four.

Maddie Biggs hit the winner in the 72nd minute, running onto Bonnie Horwood’s dinked pass.


Keynsham Town 1-5 Plymouth Argyle

Plymouth Argyle secured their first win of the season in comfortable fashion at the AJN Stadium.

Gabi Alphous gave the visitors the lead after ten minutes before they doubled their score close to the break; Natasha Knapman turning home Zoe Cunningham’s assist.

Keynsham narrowed the deficit just before the half-time, but Argyle responded immediately after when Alphous got her second of the match. Cunningham then converted a free kick before Emily Eaton added a final goal with her first touch of the game.


London Bees 1-1 Chichester & Selsey

London Bees fought back in the second half to share the spoils with travelling Chichester.

Megan Fox gave the visitors the lead just before half-time. But the Bees hit back in style when Lauren Heria’s superb curling effort hit the top corner with 20 minutes left to play.


MK Dons P-P Hounslow


Portsmouth FC 1-1 Oxford United

The points were shared at Westleigh Park on Sunday as Portsmouth hosted Oxford United.

The visitors took the lead early in the first half through Carly Johns. However, Shannon Albuery struck back for Portsmouth to level just before the break.


Southampton FC 9-0 Gillingham

Southampton FC maintained their 100% start to the season with an emphatic victory at home to Gillingham.

Georgie Freeland fired the Saints into the lead after 16 minutes. Five minutes later, Freeland made a nuisance of herself again and Ella Morris was on hand to convert a rebounded shot.

Freeland got her second got her second turning Shelley Provan’s effort on goal before the Ella Pusey made it four just before the break.

Sophia Pharoah extended the hosts’ lead just after half-time, turning home Pusey’s assist. Gillingham’s problems then deepened when Vicky Ashton-Jones handled in the box, allowing Pusey to convert for her second. The in-form forward then sealed her hat-trick off Provan’s corner.

Gillingham’s Davies fumbled Ella Morris’ ball into her own net for the eighth before Ciara Watling poked home a cross to complete the scoring.

You may also like