The FAWNL kicked off on Sunday with all six divisions in action.

There were goals and actions galore in the Division 1 as teams lay down their opening day marks. Find out what went on:


Alnwick Town 3-3 Chester le Street Town

Alnwick’s debut in the Division 1 North couldn’t have got off to a better start when Lucy Jackman opened the lead for them in the fourth minute. Half an hour later, they were in dreamland when Sophie Williams doubled their lead.

Chester le Street grew into the match, however, and hit back. Elizabeth Thompson-Clarke and Anna Collin levelled things up before the break.

Williams hit her second to give the hosts back the lead in the 85th minute but Annece Legg salvaged a point for the visitors three minutes later.


Barnsley 1-2 Norton & Stockton Ancients 

Norton & Stockton Ancients got their campaign off to a quick start away to Barnsley. Lily Patrick gave them an 11th minute lead and scored a second five minutes later.

The hosts battled and Maddison Foye pulled one back for in injury time, but it was too late to mount a comeback.


Bradford City 1-2 Chorley

As with Norton above, Chorley opened their season with a 2-1 victory. Ellie Mills opened the scoring in 21st minute and Katie Matthews added another with almost half an hour on the clock.

Bradford narrowed the deficit when Amy Beck pulled one back for the hosts with 10 minutes to play.


FC United of Manchester 0-6 Newcastle United

Newcastle United got their season off to a flying start, scoring six to no reply.

Georgina Spraggan opened the scoring with a fine volley while Georgia Gibson doubled their lead before the break.

Kacie Elson and Katie Barker added their names to the scoresheet before Gibson notched her second of the afternoon. Rebecca Ferguson rounded off the scoring to seal an emphatic victory.


Leeds United 1-0 Stockport County

There was a real battle between Leeds United and Stockport County on Sunday afternoon. But it was ultimately heartbreak for the visitors as Kirstie Hunt’s last-minute rocket sealed the three points for Leeds.


Liverpool Feds 2-0 Durham Cestria

Liverpool Feds opened with a solid victory over Durham Cestria.

Ellie Fletcher, signed from Blackburn Rovers in the summer, broke the deadlock in the 72nd minute.

Feds then sealed the points when Paige Cole was brought down in the box. Caroline Charlton buried the subsequent penalty to double the score.



Bedworth United 1-8 Boldmere St. Michaels

Boldmere St. Michaels hit back in style to overcome Bedworth United.

The hosts took the lead in the seventh minute with Kirsty Farnsworth opening her account for the season.

But from that point it was one-way traffic. Annie Highway scored the first two of her four goals before the break and added another shortly after. Evie Billingsley got her name on the scoresheet before Highway got her fourth.

Stephanie Weston then scored a brace before Macy Fox hit in the 89th minute to secure victory.


Burton Albion 0-1 Doncaster Belles

Andy Butler’s Belles side had plenty of chances throughout the 90 minutes. However, they had to rely on Hannah McWilliams’ second half header to see them go home with the three points.


Long Eaton United 4-0 Leafield Athletic

Long Eaton United opened their campaign with a comfortable victory over Leafield Athletic.

Lauren Da’Casto opened the scoring after 14 minutes, assisted by Jess Munn. Millie Fugler then doubled the lead in the second half. Lucy Johnstone scored a third before Cala Thornton wrapped up the scoring.


Peterborough United P-P Wem Town
Solihull Moors 8-0 Leek Town

 Solihull Moors were in cruise control throughout against league newbies, Leek Town.

Lois Jefferies opened the scoring in the 16th minute. Four minutes later, Leek Town were down to 10 when Jessica Lundie was denied a clear goalscoring opportunity.

Lundie then doubled the lead before a rocket from Annie Ackroyd made it three. Jefferies added her second immediately after the break before Maisie McDonnell added a fifth.

Substitute Kathryn Pagan scored a brace and Jenna Roberts rounded off the scoring on her debut. 


Sporting Khalsa 1-2 Lincoln City

Lincoln City came for 1-0 down to secure three points away on Sunday afternoon.

The hosts took and early through Chloe Handy. However, Lincoln City hit back in the second half.

Jessica Rousseau levelled the score in the 60th minute, tapping home from a corner, before Leah Hardy scored the winner in the 78th minute.



AFC Wimbledon 2-1 Kent Football United

AFC Wimbledon made a fast start to their season with Katie Stanley opened the scoring for the hosts with five minutes on the clock.

Rebecca Sargent then doubled their lead before half time, heading home an Ashlee Hincks’ corner.

Lina Zarour pulled one back from close range for the visitors in the second half.


Actonians 1-0 Cambridge United

Actonians earned a hard-fought victory in their opener against Cambridge United. Roschelle Shakes headed home in the 60th minute to seal the three points for her side.


Cambridge City 1-3 Hashtag United

After a tight first half, Hashtag United broke the deadlock early in the second when Gemma Abela drove home Emma Samways’ ball.

Sasha Adamson’s volley doubled their lead ten minutes later before Abela scored her second in the 70th minute.

Hashtag’s Grace Gillard was sent off with ten minutes to play, landing the hosts a free kick which Grace Stanley dispatched it with aplomb.


Enfield Town 1-1 London Seaward

After a chaotic off-season that saw the club rebranded, London Seaward got off to the perfect start. Abbey Dell opened the scoring in the fifth minute when she sent home Hayley Barton’s wide free kick.

Enfield battled, however, and Alana Munro hit back in the second half to ensure the points were shared.


Norwich City 0-8 Billericay Town

 Billericay got off to a flyer, putting eight goals past Norwich City to no reply.

Zoe Rushen opened Billericay’s scoring after just four minutes. This was followed by two quick-fire goals as Georgia Morton and Shannan Drewe scored within a minute of each other. Logan O’Shea then tapped in another to put them comfortably ahead at half-time.

Drewe hit again immediately after the break before O’Shea also notched her brace. Leonie Bezant hit a cracker on her debut before Freya Fuller rounded off the scoring.


QPR 6-0 Stevenage 

It was an equally impressive start for league newbies, QPR.

Alice Curr fired the hosts into the lead in the first half. Sue Kumaning then doubled their lead early in the second before Demi Edwards added another.

Danielle Maloney scored a long-range free kick and Brogan Moore made it five with ten minutes to play. Edwards sealed her brace right at the death.



Buckland Athletic 1-3 Larkhall Athletic

Larkhall Athletic got off to a quick start on Sunday and had the victory pretty much wrapped up by half-time. Rose Kent scored a brace while Rhian Robbins got their third goal.

Sam Kotlinska pulled one back for the hosts in the second half, heading in on her home debut.


Cheltenham Town 1-3 Southampton Women

Southampton Women returned to winning ways with a solid performance away to Cheltenham.

Sian Wylie scored a brace two minutes apart to give her Southampton side a first half lead. Emily Wernham secured the victory for the visitors in the 68th minute.

Lacy-Jai Liggett pulled one back for the hosts with five minutes to play.


Exeter City 6-1 Poole Town

There was an emphatic victory for Exeter City as they hosted Poole Town.

They took an early lead when Mollie Taylor tapped home a corner. Steph Beck added a second early in the second half before sending home another shortly after.

Sarah Stacey then added a fourth for the hosts while Connie Pengelly got one for herself.

Poole managed to pull one back with a fine finish from Lauren Kelly.

But Exeter restored the deficit when Charley Prouse hit home from distance as the game drew to a close.


Portishead 1-3 Maidenhead United

Maidenhead United secured an opening day win against battling newcomers, Portishead.

The visitors took the lead in the 23rd minute through a powerful Nicole Barrett strike. But Portishead equalised after the break with Laura Barrett scoring their first goal in the division.

Substitute Chrissy Nazif then restored Maidenhead’s lead before Tina Brett’s 85th minute goal ensured the victory.


Swindon Town 1-1 AFC Bournemouth

AFC Bournemouth took the lead just before the break when Katie James converted from close range.

Swindon kept pushing for the equaliser. It finally came in the last minute with a brilliant strike from distance from substitute Sophie Mitchell.

You may also like